Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57- Initial Thoughts on Prom

                I’ve always had an advantage over other students when it comes to firsthand experience in the Normal is Weird course units. An advantage which always made me feel special but now, when our unit is about prom, I feel silly because the only experience I have with this topic is from watching television shows and movies. Many of my classmates have been around prom by having siblings who went to prom and some of them have already been to prom. Growing up in a religious family I have been taught that social events like prom, are always bad and that we should avoid them if we can. My parents have always been very strict about parties. They have the stereotypical idea of every party that a teenager attends in America is full of drugs and alcohol. They aren’t completely wrong… However, I am certain that they will let me go to prom next year because by that time, I will already have received my acceptance letter from NYU so my parents would want me to enjoy my last few days and nights as a high school student to reward me for being admitted to a prestigious college.
             
                I am looking forward to prom as much as I am looking forward to waking up tomorrow and typing up another homework assignment on the train like I’m doing right now. It’s not that I don’t know who I’ll be going with or that I am worried that I won’t have a date because I already asked the person I want to go with and she has said yes. I am not looking forward to prom because of all the hype that It is getting right now. Whenever I go near the seniors in the hallways, I constantly hear the same things; who is going to prom with whom, who is wearing what, and who is doing what after prom. One of the things that annoy me are obsessions like that. Pointless obsessions which will lead to nothing but a disappointment, and if you’re lucky, and prom is as wonderful as you think it will be, then I would still feel annoyed because that just means that people who constantly talk about prom have a need to constantly tell people what they are doing in order to feel special. But the sad thing is, everyone else will be doing the same thing so it you’re not that special after all.







Questions
- Go to prom? Or stay home with mom?
- Does going to prom make you special? 
- If not, why do people fuss so much about something that makes them even more generic?

No comments:

Post a Comment